Have you ever met or seen someone who was following a script? Recently, I received a call and when I asked them to repeat who they were, it sounded like a pre-recorded answer.
In that moment I realized that I was talking to an automated phone response.
What was missing in that interaction (other than a live person)?
As a prospect, they weren’t in my world.
As I look back on my career, I recall times where I wasn’t in the other person’s world. I tried to follow someone’s advice or a script that took me away from being present with them.
How can you spot when you’re not in the other person’s world?
- As they are talking, you are formulating your next question or strategy
- You start tell them all about what’s going on with you while using a lot of I’s, me’s and my’s
- You’re trying to save them or persuade them
- You’re missing cues, like when they are interrupting you (because you’re talking way too much)
- They start to get tense and irritated in their responses, and you respond with a lengthy dissertation
So, don’t do sales.
Be in their world.