Picture this: you just brought in your biggest income level this month and you’ve made a positive impact on a lot of people’s lives. You swell with excitement. Then your computer crashes, you temporarily lose your customer data, and you quickly get caught up in the issues of the day. Your entire mind is focused on fixing the issues and you quickly forget about that biggest win of the month.
Someone asks how you’re doing and you answer “I’ve had better days” leaving the person who asked wondering just how your business is doing. In the rush of fixing the issue of the moment, you don’t take time to think of your biggest accomplishment and focus on the day-to-day problems.
It’s a gradual process where you are consumed with daily activities and don’t take enough time to celebrate the big things, the little things, milestones, or anniversaries.
Yet, regularly celebrating on-going accomplishments is a way to build a positive, growth-oriented business. Researchers also suggest that positive exercises in celebrating accomplishments engages the pleasure and reward centers of the brain releasing neuropeptides that reinforce motivation for new learning and play a role in unlearning, both required for change and growth.
Take five minutes today to identify the five things you’ve accomplished, including:
1. Accomplishments in Life – were you able to make it through a week of exercise? Nothing is too silly or too small in celebrating accomplishments that enrich your life.
2. Accomplishment of Special Times of the Year – whether you’ve conquered a serious health condition or are celebrating a wedding anniversary, these are accomplishments that can remind you of the important things in life.
3. Accomplishment of the Person You Are – some of the greatest accomplishments are not the result of something we build, but rather who we are. The biggest reasons to celebrate in life is as simple as the impact you’ve had on others where you were just being you and it helped someone else.
4. Accomplishments of Moments – were you able to work outside of your comfort zone or put aside a fear and move beyond it? Perhaps you invested in something that would move your business ahead in a really big way and it was a stretch for you. These moments help push you outside of your norm and it deserves to be celebrated.
5. Accomplishment of Years in Business – are you celebrating a milestone anniversary for your business? Remember, it’s a great time to schedule a ribbon cutting ceremony and get additional press coverage. This is a great reason to write a press release and celebrate your achievement in a big way.
Celebrating accomplishments also forge valuable bonds and help develop relationships and trust with colleagues, co-workers, and those important in your life. Just five minutes a day to acknowledge your accomplishments can help balance the day.
What accomplishments are you celebrating? Share your accomplishments on my blog! Let’s hear what you’re celebrating!