When you decide to add speaking to your Marketing MixTM, it can be rewarding and revenue generating. Speaking gives you an opportunity to get in front of your ideal clients and earn additional income. Below are several insider secrets to set you up for success from the start:
1. Create A Compelling Signature Talk Title. Newbie speakers make the critical mistake of giving their talk a title that does nothing to entice event planners to book them or compel their audience to attend their presentation.
A talk title should be compelling and define the transformation your audience will experience from attending your presentation. A popular speech that I have become known for is: “Seal the Deal 98% of the Time”. By the title alone, audience members know that they will learn strategies to seal the deal 98% of the time. One of my other speeches most requested by event planners is, “Shift Has Hit the Fan! Now How Do I Navigate It?” Whenever people see this talk title in a program, it always evokes a double take drawing in my audience members.
When you develop that compelling signature talk title, people can’t help but to want to know more.
2. Get Your Speaker Kit in Order. Many professionals will tell you to “just do it”. Unfortunately, if you don’t prepare, you’ll come off disorganized and unprofessional. Before getting started, get the critical components of your speaking in order to attract more speaking engagements. These components include:
- A Speaker One Sheet. At a minimum, develop your speaker one sheet so event planners know that you are serious about speaking. A one-sheet includes:
- Your area of expertise
- Whom you give presentations to
- Speaker talk title
- Objectives of each talk
- Benefits that each member will take away
- Your experience in your area of expertise
- Contact information
- A Sample Video. With a sample video, event planners see you in action. It doesn’t have to be long, but it does have to show how you engage your audience or how you present the material.
- A Follow Up Process. So many speakers leave money on the table by not having a way for their audience members to keep in touch. Have a simple drawing by giving away something for free. Have each audience member complete a form with their name and email address . Once you collect the names, give away a gift. Each week, send out a newsletter or engage with them in other ways through social media. As you create consistency in your messaging and they develop trust in you, you will be at the top of their mind when they are ready.
3. Practice Makes Perfect But Exact Will Attract
Some experts will give you advice and tell you to speak often and anywhere. However, this leaves you with a lot of action and little revenue. Be strategic and smart about where you spend your valuable time. First, identify venues that get you in front of your ideal clients each and every time. Second, call the event planner of that venue and ask if they are looking for speakers. When they say yes, you are now armed with your Speaker Kit ready to go.
Don’t limit yourself to just in person events. One of the ways I have spread my message to over 11 countries is by using technology to expand my reach. Many organizations host telesummits, weekly webinars, and other virtual events to reach their members. It’s a great way to grow your business.
4. Leverage Your Talks
Even if you speak for free when you get started, set up your profit system by recording your talks. A digital recorder and lapel microphone will do the trick. Your recordings can be made into products that you sell later.
Need help developing your speaking craft? Tap into professional organizations that cater specifically to speakers, including the National Speakers Association, Canadian Association of Professional Speakers, and Toastmasters. When you follow these tips, you create a competitive advantage from the start. Before you know it, event planners will seek you out for your expertise and topics leading to more speaking opportunities, more clients and more profits.
- Do you enjoy speaking in front of audiences and sharing your message, but wish you knew how it fit into your business and wanted to speak authentically without sounding sales-y?
- Do you want to conduct Teleseminars or Webinars but wish you knew the right format?
- Are you confused with exactly HOW to make an offer?
Visit our Success Tools and pick up Your Ultimate Guide to Sealing the Deal – In Person, On Stage, On Teleseminars, and Webinars. This revealing guide shows you step-by-step scripts, shortcuts, and resources making execution a breeze! Save over $20 until June 8, 2012.